This review of We Buy Books is specifically for those wanting to sell secondhand books. I tested out We Buy Books when selling my own unwanted books online and compared them to their online competitors.
About We Buy Books:
WeBuyBooks.com is owned by Revival Books Limited, a UK company based in Lancashire.
They attract lots of excellent reviews from their site users on Trustpilot.
We Buy Books are unusual in offering a service for books with no ISBN (see below) and a catalogue of specialist books they are especially keen to buy.
How to Submit Your Items on We Buy Books:
- You can enter items on We Buy Books via their mobile apps or on the website
- The app scans your bar code via your camera, or you can type the ISBNs in manually. It’s available on both Google Play (Android) and the Apple App Store (iOS).
- On the website you need to enter ISBNs manually but there’s a bulk upload facility for pasting in up to 25 ISBNs at once
Additional items you can sell at We Buy Books:
- WeBuyBooks also buy CDs, DVDs and video games
Creating a Trade at We Buy Books:
- There’s a minimum of £5 per trade, but this can be a mix of books and other items.
- You must be at least 18 years of age or have permission of a parent or guardian to sell to We Buy Books.
We Buy Books Review – Books they won’t accept:
The following may cause books to be rejected on arrival
- damage or string smells from fire, smoke, liquid, mould
- substantial damage to the front cover or binding
- missing dust cover
- missing, loose, torn or chewed pages
- excessive annotation, writing or highlighting – a limited amount is allowed as long as it doesn’t affect use
- book club editions or rental copies, promo or proof copies, self-published or self-printed books
NB We Buy Books do accept ex library books as long as they have a withdrawn stamp.
They also provide a service for books with no ISBN. You just need to email them the book’s details.
What We Buy Books do with rejected items:
If your books fail the check they can be returned to you, but at your expense – £2.40 per book.
We Buy Books delivery mechanisms:
- When you agree a sale you’ll be emailed a postage label to print. You then package the books and take them to a Hermes collection point.
- Or you can arrange for home collection.
Getting Paid by We Buy Books:
We Buy Books ‘seek to pay within three days’ of checking goods in. In my experience they do achieve this.
Payment is by bank transfer, cheque or Paypal.
Bonuses & Offers at We Buy Books:
- We Buy Books offer 10% extra on your first trade
- If your trade contains £25.00 worth of items you get an extra 5% payment
- They also have a Refer-a-Friend scheme which can earn you £5 for any friends who go on to sell to We Buy Books.
My Experience with We Buy Books:
I’ve created three different trades on We Buy Books.
Trade 1 – This was a mix of books, CDs and DVDs. When the goods arrived I had an email saying one dvd was missing (my fault – I had accidentally left it out) and 1 damaged (I wasn’t aware of this, but it’s possible so I decided to take their word for it this time and see if it happens again). They proposed to reduce the offer by £4.18. You have to go to site and agree to the reduction, which I did.
The whole process took a month from beginning to end, but was delayed mainly by a lengthy Hermes delivery and faults in my items, neither of which are really their issues.
Trade 2 – My second trade took just 6 days from creation of trade to payment received. All items were approved.
Trade 3 – My third trade was in January 2021, during COVID lockdown. This time it was even faster – just 5 days from creation of trade to payment received! All items were approved.
We Buy Books Review – in Summary:
My comparison of online book buyers found that We Buy Books are at the higher end pricewise, with the best average price of the UK companies I looked at.
While some buyers make a high number of rock bottom offers (less than 10p), We Buy Books are a bit more selective, offering on fewer books (less than 1 in 3 in my case) and not going below 15p.
Based on my own experience I find We Buy Books to be very fast and fair in processing trades. Other site users seem to agree.